how to hear and recognize the voice of God.
On January 5, Pastor Mark Jenkins began a wonderful series titled “All In” based on Mark Batterson’s book. Batterson is one of my favorite authors, having written books like Wild Goose Chase and The Circle Maker, which I wrote about in 2013.
On that day, Mark Jenkins talked about Noah and what it took for him to be “All In” with God. He read Genesis 6:6-22. Genesis 6:22 states, “Thus Noah did; according to all that God commanded him, so he did.” Obviously, Noah knew the voice of his heavenly Father and trusted Him completely in order to invest 100 years building an ark on dry land when it had never rained before.
Here are some takeaway messages I wrote down from that sermon:
- God has dealt you a good hand. God is not holding back on you.
- God hates sin. It is an afront to His holiness.
- You can do nothing wrong and still do nothing right.
- Heavenly Father has dreams and plans for you.
- Growing as a Christian is a marathon.
- Every time I yield, I get another plank to build the boat.
- Being All In is often signing up for a life of hard work.
- Sin complicates your life. Going All In also complicates your life.
While lying in bed this morning, I heard this in my spirit and wrote this down when I got up:
- Noah had faith and great influence because he could hear God’s voice.
- Abraham had faith and great influence because he could hear God’s voice.
- Joseph had faith and great influence because he could hear God’s voice.
- Moses had faith and great influence because he could hear God’s voice.
Then when I went to the worship service later this morning, Mark talked about Abraham and how God tested him with sacrificing his son Isaac (Genesis 22:1-19). In Genesis 22:18, the Angel of the LORD tells Abraham, “In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.” Once again we see the importance of recognizing and obeying the voice of our heavenly Father.
While I was driving home after food shopping, I listened to Charles Stanley preach on the radio. He said the first step in walking with God is learning to listen to Him and recognizing His voice.
Obviously, there is a common theme to my past week. The LORD is stressing the importance of recognizing His voice and then obeying Him.
Last week, I received an email from Dr. Mark Virkler titled, “4 Keys to Hearing God’s Voice Every Day.” I highly recommend listening to that short video and then entering your email to receive access to his other 3 videos. Enjoy
Blessings to choose to be all in!
P.S. In the past few months, I have developed more focus and clarity than ever before in my life. Two new habits have contributed to this. One is my habit of journaling by hand during my sacred time in my sacred place. And the other is asking this Focusing Question, “LORD, what is one thing I can do today that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?” I encourage you to ask God that question each morning and write down in a journal what you hear. I think you will be amazed at what happens.
Recently, I received an email from Dr. Mike Murdock titled “Make God Your Dream Partner.” That grabbed my attention so I opened and read it. After doing so, I felt prompted to share that with you. After all, we exist to serve by “Empowering Dreams.” Enjoy.
1) RADICAL RESULTS – How To Turn Your Goals Into Reality In 2014
2) A MUST SEE for starting 2014 off fast, focused and fired up! by Brian Tracy